Wednesday, July 10, 2013

green smoothie challenge

Friends, I started a 30-day green smoothie challenge. I'm only on Day 10 but I love it! Who knew that smoothies for breakfast would be so awesome? Well…this guy would since that's what he's been drinking for breakfast every day for the past 12 years. Ebert's smoothies aren't green but I've finally come to understand his need for a liquid breakfast routine.

My green smoothies aren't quite as filling as I would have thought so I usually have to eat a little mid-morning snack that's either a piece of brown rice toast or rice cake with butter peanut or sometimes a hard boiled egg. What I love most about eating greens in the morning is that it sets a precedent for the rest of my day- I want to continue to eat healthy.

So far my favorite recipe has been the beginners luck smoothie, but what's nice about this challenge is that you don't really need to follow the recipes exactly- at least that's been my experience. I love that they send me a grocery list and have recipes available, not to mention their tips have also been very helpful, but I just take their recipe suggestions and make it my own. My mom always says a recipe is just a guideline. I've only had one epic smoothie fail. On Day 4 I added coconut water to my smoothie instead of plain water and what happened to my smoothie was beyond gross. After I blended everything together I took a few sips but didn't finish it right away so it sat for about 15 minutes. When I came back my smoothie had basically congealed. I don't know if it was the coconut water or what but a piece plopped right into my mouth…grossness! Needless to say that has been the only time I haven't finish a green smoothie.

I haven't noticed a huge change in my energy levels or weight, we're pretty good about eating greens on a regular basis anyway, but I'm excited to see if anything does change by the end of this challenge. Even if it doesn't, it will have been good to incorporate more greens into my diet. And blending has been way easier than juicing…I'm just saying!


No comments: