Saturday, August 3, 2013

high kindness

While perusing the blogosphere this morning I came across George Saunders convocation speech at Syracuse University and I had to share. Take ten minutes, sit by yourself, read this moving speech, let the tears come if they do (they did for me) and then "try to be kinder".

Yes, it's not easy and I know I'm guilty of "failures of kindness" but how I want to strive for "high kindness" every day. My favorite part of the speech is below...

"What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness.

Those moments when another human being was there, in front of me, suffering, and I responded…sensibly. Reservedly. Mildly.

Or, to look at it from the other end of the telescope: Who, in your life, do you remember most fondly, with the most undeniable feelings of warmth?

Those who were kindest to you, I bet.

It’s a little facile, maybe, and certainly hard to implement, but I’d say, as a goal in life, you could do worse than: Try to be kinder."

Thanks to Sho & Tell for posting.

{image via create.your.happy}

No comments: