Sunday, December 11, 2011

sunday supper: eggnog french toast

French Toast Vertical

eggnog french toast via dineandish

The first time I had eggnog was sometime during my 20's when I was working for a certain coffee shop. You know the one I'm talking about- you can't miss it, it's practically on every street corner. Now I'd much rather support a local coffee shop but there's something about you know who's coffee that I just love- and mind you it's a basic cup of coffee I'm drinking, no frilly blended drinks for me. Besides those were good times I had working there. In a round about kind of way that's how I met Ebert, so I'll always look back at that part of my life with fondness....well, except for getting up at 4 in the morning, the all too often freak out over a cup of coffee, and the mind numbing monotony that comes with that kind of customer service job. Other than that it was great!

Anyway, from then on I always looked forward to my first cup of eggnog during the holiday season. This year, instead of using cream and milk for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, I used eggnog. Unfortunately, the pie came out a little runny although it still tasted good. Next time I need to do a bit more experimenting with how much eggnog I use. Since then I've been wanting to do more baking with eggnog instead of just drinking it, which I'm doing plenty of....just ask my hips.

When I saw this photo I knew that today's post had to showcase the simple beauty that is this breakfast. There's something so comforting and homely about this image. I find myself staring at it. And not because the thought of dipping a thick piece of bread into a dish of sweet, velvety goodness sounds divine, although it does, but there's love in this breakfast. It's that kind of feeling that makes me want to fully give in to the Christmas spirit. Alas, I'm not there yet. In the meantime, I'll just keep staring....


No comments: