Monday, February 20, 2012

monday morning @ 6am

Henry Miller's writing commandments from Henry Miller on Writing
1. Work on one thing at a time until finished.

2. Start no more new books, add no more new material to "Black Spring."

3. Don't be nervous. Work calmly, joyously, recklessly on whatever is in hand.

4. Work according to Program and not according to mood. Stop at the appointed time!

5. When you can't create you can work.

6. Cement a little every day, rather than add new fertilizers.

7. Keep human! See people, go places, drink if you feel like it.

8. Don't be a draught-horse! Work with pleasure only.

9. Discard the Program when you feel like it -- but go back to it the next day. Concentrate. Narrow down. Exclude.

10. Forget the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.

11. Write first and always. Painting, music, friends, cinema, all these come afterwards.

{via kottke}

I got up this morning @ 6am when Ebert's alarm went off - 45 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. This is a big deal because I am not a morning person. But Ebert had showed me this post from Kottke last night before we went to bed so when I awoke feeling quite rested I thought to myself "it's a new day, it's a new week, time for new beginning's so start your program and get writing." The funny thing is that I haven't actually written anything creative, unless you count reposting a great writer's writing commandments, which I don't. I was also motivated by greed because I needed to submit my work invoice this morning so I could get paid. Again, writing down how many hours I worked and my mileage reimbursement is not the writing I was looking to do this morning but here I am typing away, watching the sunrise, starting my practice. I have to say this feels pretty good.

Happy Monday!


No comments: