Wednesday, September 15, 2010

one hundred years of solitude

There were times when it felt like it would take me one hundred years to finish reading this book. There were moments when all I wanted was to be at the final paragraph, reading the last sentences, so that I could finally cross this book off my list. But, as I laid in bed last night surrounded by the conclusion of life and death, I wanted nothing more than for the Buendia's journey to continue, for them to live on.

I suppose that's why this book is so brilliant, because that's exactly how it is with life - we don't realize the meaning of it, until it's over. We think we have all the time in the world, although we're not always enjoying the journey.

"What hurts me most," she would say, laughing, "is all the time that we wasted."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you are a master storyteller.

No comments: