Sunday, September 19, 2010

sunday supper: sweet potato, corn & jalepeno bisque

Before making this recipe I had no idea what 'bisque' meant because what I made looked just like soup. Yes, 'bisque' is just a fancy word for soup, but it's a certain kind of soup. Traditionally, a bisque is "a smooth, creamy, highly-seasoned soup of French origin, classically based on a strained broth of crustaceans. It can be made from lobster, crab, shrimp or crayfish." Nowadays, bisque also refers to cream-based vegetable soups that do not contain seafood. This recipe did not contain any cream, so I'm thinking it's considered a bisque because of the pre-cooked sweet potatoes I pulverized into a mushy goodness. I used chicken broth as my base, but a vegetable broth can be used if you prefer a vegetarian bisque.

I wanted it be a simple meal of just soup and salad, so I asked Jeanette from Everybody Likes Sandwiches what kind of salad I should make. She suggested I "serve up a salad that highlights fall flavours", so I made a green salad with walnuts, dried cherries and a mustardy vinaigrette. I completed the meal with crusty baguette slices on the side. It was very hearty and filling. The best part is that we have leftovers. Ebert and I love leftovers!

Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of this deliciousness! But, if you click on the recipe link you can see how yummy this bisque looks.

No comments: