Sunday, November 7, 2010

sunday supper: spicy kale, chorizo & squash soup

It's been chilly in Chicago this week. I don't feel at all ready for this kind of weather, but I do love that it's the perfect time of year for delicious bowls of hearty soups. And ever since the week of cabbage soup I've been really good about how many calories I consume. This is partly due to the mass amounts of calories I know I will be consuming during the Thanksgiving holiday. My sister will be in town and we're already planning what we're going to cook and bake and eat while she's here. It's going to be a calorie explosion of deliciousness.

In the meantime, I'm trying to be eat as healthy as possible, which is why I love this recipe. It contains two power foods: kale and butternut squash. Not only is this soup "soup-er" healthy, but it's also really easy to make.

Instead of chorizo, I used Trader Joe's Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage. It gave the soup an extra spicy kick. I used butternut squash because it's my favorite. I think Trader Joe's even sells cubes of butternut squash if you don't want to go through the trouble of peeling, deseeding, and cutting up a whole squash. I wish you could get all of the soup ingredients at Trader Joe's, how nice would that be during the busy holiday season, but unfortunately Trader Joe's does not sell kale- for this bundle of green goodness you have go to Whole Foods or your local grocery store.

Ebert and I did not eat crusty bread with this soup the first night, as much as we wanted to we decided to be good. But, when we had it for leftovers the next night we couldn't help ourselves and indulged in a loaf of crusty sourdough bread, our favorite. It was delicious and worth all the calories!

IMG_3975.JPG

No comments: