Saturday, January 8, 2011

signed, sincerely yours

"In writing notes or letters, as in all other forms of social observance, the highest achievement is in giving the appearance of simplicity, naturalness and force. Those who use long periods of flowered prolixity and pretentious phrases—who write in complicated form with meaningless flourishes, do not make an impression of elegance and erudition upon their readers, but flaunt instead unmistakable evidence of vainglory and ignorance. The letter you write, whether you realize it or not, is always a mirror which reflects your appearance, taste and character."

~ Emily Post from her book Etiquette: In Society, In Business, In Politics and At Home, Chapter XXVII: Notes and Shorter Letters


After a less than stellar audition this morning, I've come to the conclusion that I don't just want to give the appearance of "simplicity, naturalness and force", I want to be those things. I want to be direct, convey impressions intensely, and be true. I think I will do much better in auditions, and live a more passionate life, if I can aspire to those states of being.

There is an art to letter writing that I'm not sure I will master throughout the course of next week. If anything, the stationary I'm using can be a work of art. So, here are a few more letter writing supplies inspired by my fondness of bicycles.





No comments: