Sunday, January 9, 2011

sunday supper: pastaless pasta

After a mass consumption of calories over the holiday season Ebert and I are ready for a detox - at least for a day or so. But, with the 20-something degree weather in Chicago we're still craving warmth. I would happily eat pasta every day, but Ebert convinced me to go pastaless for this dinner. Of course, the vegetables and sauce would be great over pasta, but it was quite delicious on its own and very filling for a low-carb meal.

IMG_4841.JPG
Sauteed Veggies & Turkey Sauce w/ Garlic Parmesan Green Beans

First, I cooked a pound of ground turkey with fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Then, I added a pinch of red pepper flakes for a nice little kick and a jar of Trader Joe's Arrabiata Sauce to the turkey. I let all those flavors simmer together while I got cooking on the rest of dinner. I boiled the water for the green beans, then sauteed fresh garlic (we love garlic!), a red pepper, button mushrooms, broccoli and kalamata olives with some olive oil. While those vegetables were cooking I made the garlic parmesan green beans, which is one of the easiest and yummiest recipes I've ever tried.

Simple and great tasting, that's what a Sunday Supper is all about.

Happy Cooking!

No comments: