Sunday, January 23, 2011

sunday supper: citrus desserts

This has been a busy baking week for me.

First, I made this wheat-free, gluten free Clementine Cake. It's a very simple recipe and quite tasty. I'm not much of a baker, so you know it must be easy if even I didn't mess it up. I really wanted to try this cake not only because it calls for just 5 ingredients, but also because you use the whole clementine, skin and all. I threw in a blood orange since I had one - a last minute and delicious addition. You could also use a combination of clementines and lemons, which I think would add a nice zing. The only thing I didn't like was that my cake had a bit of a crunchy texture. I think that was because I didn't grind up the almonds enough. Next time I'll just buy ground almond meal from Trader Joe's.



The next dessert I baked was a Lemon Curd Tart with Olive Oil. I served this with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a Cherry Berry Compote. The tart turned out really tart. It had a zip, a zing, and a zang! Good thing I served it with the vanilla bean ice cream. I think the creaminess of the ice cream mellowed out the tartness quite a bit. Even though this dessert made my lips all a pucker it was still good. But, and there's always a but when I try a recipe for the first time, there were a few things about this dessert that didn't come out as well as I would have liked. First, the crust was all crumbly. I hate when the crust crumbles apart. I really need to work on my crust making skills. Second, the curd itself was not as firm as I would have liked. I think you can see this in the picture. My compote wasn't very good either. I didn't follow a recipe, I just winged it. Next time I'll follow a recipe. Also, I don't think I let it cool enough. And since berries and cherries aren't in season I used frozen- fresh fruit would have been better. Good thing I have every intention of making this tart again, hopefully next time it'll turn out better.

IMG_5036.JPG
Lemon Curt Tart with Olive Oil

Happy Baking! Happy Cooking! And Happy Eating!

No comments: