Sunday, August 19, 2012

a lesson in baking

Last Sunday my friend Ivory and I had a baking lesson with her mother-in-law Patsy. The kind of baking Patsy does is the best kind of baking- from scratch! I've baked a few things from scratch but usually something doesn't come out quite right- whether it's the taste, texture, or appearance. Although Ebert will argue that whenever I bake it always tastes good. As I've mentioned here before I don't always have the patience for baking yet for some reason I still attempt new recipes. Baking is an art and a science that does not come naturally to me. This year, however, I'm determined to master some form of it. I've tried baking cakes now I'm switching to pies. I like pies better than cakes anyway. I've made pies before, I just cheat and buy a pre-made pie crust. I've never ventured into baking pies from scratch because I've always been daunted by making the crust. The crust is what makes the pie, it's the best part of a pie and if it's not good then you don't have a good pie (at least in my opinion). I'm happy to say that Patsy helped me get over my pie dough fear by teaching us how to make an apple crostata- a free-form, rustic type of pie. It was a fun day with two lovely ladies and now I feel confident about baking a pie from scratch. I just need to practice to get better at it. Ebert, I hope you're hungry!










No comments: