Sunday, October 31, 2010

sunday supper: happy halloween

I did it! I completed all 7 days of the Cabbage Soup Diet/Cleanse. There were times when I didn't think I'd make it, when I thought surely I'm going to cheat, give in to my cravings and let me tell you those moments were intensified by the many grumblings and rumblings of my tummy, and when the thought of eating another bowl of cabbage soup made me want to throw up. However challenging these past 7 days were, it was worth it. I feel really good. I don't know if I lost any weight, which I am o.k. with because what I didn't lose in weight I gained in discipline and I was also able to examine my relationship with food. This girl loves to eat, but she also loves to fit into her jeans.

For my first "real" breakfast in a week I made Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oatmeal. I've never cooked steel cut oats before. Come to think of it, there's only been one another time that I've eaten steel cut oats. They take longer to cook than regular oats and use more water, but other than that they're pretty easy to make. And I think I like them better than regular oats. This was a very hearty breakfast and a delicious combination of fall flavors! However, next time I'll use less cardamom because I didn't add any maple syrup (I'm watching those calories!) to my oatmeal. But, I did add a teaspoon of peanut butter to tame the aromaticness of the cardamom. A dollop of coconut yogurt would have been delicious too.
IMG_3814.JPG

Maybe because it's Halloween or maybe because of my yummy breakfast, but I have pumpkin on the brain. So here are some pumpkin recipes to wish you all a Happy Halloween!!!

PUMPKIN SEEDS
Pumpkin Seed Cakes
Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

DRINKS
Pumpkin-Spiced Hot Chocolate
Pumpkin Martini

BREAKFAST
Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast
Pumpkin Pancakes
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

LUNCH/DINNER
Spinach, Pumpkin and Feta Salad
Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere
Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Lasagna
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Rosemary Cream Sauce
Zucchini & Caramelized Onion Pizza with Pumpkin Crust
Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese

DESSERTS
Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin Bars with Cranberry Crumb
Pumpkin & Chocolate Cookies
Pumpkin Bourbon Cheesecake

No comments: