Saturday, April 9, 2011

artist date

Ebert was in the suburbs most of this week (cue sad face) and while I always manage to keep myself busy while he's away, I rarely treat myself to a night on the town. So, this past Wednesday I decided to take myself out on an artist date. What's an artist date, you ask? Basically it's a solo adventure with your inner-artist, or inner-child. It's a weekly creative outing you're supposed to go on by yourself while reading the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It's an amazing book. Though I will admit that the one time I read it I did not write every morning or take myself out on a weekly artist date- it's a huge commitment. But why shouldn't you make a huge commitment to your creative self?

My creative self and I went to see Sonnets For An Old Century as part of Steppenwolf's Garage Rep Series. It was a passionate production with some monologues so full of gut-wrenching honesty from the actors that I was just in awe of their performance. And on Wednesday nights it's pay what you can night and my creative self digs economy. Afterwards my inner child wanted dessert, so of course I obliged and went to Whole Foods for a piece of mixed berry pie with coconut milk coconut ice cream. I even heated up the pie when I got home and it was oh so "a la modey" good!!!

I felt that the evening really awakened my creativity. Or maybe it was just the extra scoop of ice cream I allowed myself to enjoy!

IMG 6152

No comments: