Sunday, December 12, 2010

sunday supper: braised radishes & green beans

A few weeks ago this mysteriously appeared on our front porch. Ebert had signed us up with Organics Delivered to have organic fruits & vegetables delivered to our home every couple of weeks. It was truly a delicious surprise! When I opened the box I discovered an array of apples, pears, bananas, grapefruit, oranges, lettuce, zucchini, baby carrots, potatoes, an onion, swiss chard and radishes. My first thought was, "I can't wait to find new recipes and get cooking.", which was immediately followed by the thought, "What the heck am I going to make with swiss chard and radishes?"

I've cooked with kale before but never with swiss chard. Whenever I'm at a loss for a recipe I always go to one of my favorite foodie blogs. Of course, Eggs On Sunday did not let me down and I found this recipe. Unfortunately, I never got around to trying this recipe- the swiss chard started to wilt and I wanted to use it up before it went bad so I just sauted it with olive oil and garlic. Yummy! But, I'm sure it's even better over polenta.

I'm not a fan of radishes so I had to do some searching to find a recipe where the radishes were cooked and not just added raw to a salad. If my go-to foodie bloggers (Eggs on Sunday, Smitten Kitchen, Everybody Likes Sandwiches) don't have what I'm looking for then I go to Foodgawker- it's a recipe search engine galore and that's where I found this radish recipe.

IMG_4489.JPG

Braised Radishes & Green Beans via honestfare

I've never braised anything before. The butter/olive oil combination worked out well, but I think if I had a cast-iron skillet my radishes would have braised a little bit better. I skipped out on using the rosemary and oregano and only used salt and pepper for seasoning. It was a very tasty dish and I may even start eating more radishes.

The vegetables paired very nicely with some leftover chicken stew I made earlier in the week with some of the potatoes from our box. It was kindof a hodge-podge, leftover meal since we also heated up a curried sweet potato & rice stew that was in our freezer. I had made this stew a while back and never posted about.

IMG_4425.jpg

Chicken Stew via athousandsoups

It is definitely soup and stew season here in Chicago. Happy Cooking!

No comments: