Wednesday, July 16, 2014

raw food cleanse: day 1

cauliflower rice via rawmazing

I started a 3-day raw food cleanse today. Since I'm officially another year older I wanted to start this year off by cleansing out whatever is old, stale, and stuck in my body and bring in some fresh and vibrant energy. I'm hoping that this cleanse will not only bring on a healthier physical state but also a healthier, happier and more creative mental state. Also, I think it's much easier to eat raw foods during the summer time. I'm not following any specific program, I'm just kind of creating it as I go but I got inspiration here, here, and here.

The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was take a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water. I followed that concoction with a glass of warm lemon water. I've been drinking a lot of water throughout the day, way more than I usually do, and to make it even tastier I've added fresh basil leaves to my water - it is quite summery and refreshing. However, I will admit to drinking coffee this morning. I was not going but then it just smelled so good that I couldn't resist. I don't add cream or sugar to my coffee so I figured it can't be all that bad.

I needed a mid-morning snack so I ate a handful of raw almonds. Then, for lunch I ate the cauliflower rice, but I omitted the scallions, maple syrup, fresh ginger and pine nuts. I don't have Himalayan salt so I just used regular sea salt. I added some thinly sliced fresh kale and half of an avocado and it made a really delicious salad. My afternoon snack consisted of a cut up grapefruit and a Kombucha drink. I'm not sure if the Kombucha drink is considered to be raw but I went for it anyway. I should probably do some research on that to find out.

And then for dinner I did a hodge podge of raw things - carrot sticks, this cucumber salad from rawmazing minus the coconut sugar, sauerkraut, and a repeat of the cauliflower rice salad but this time without an avocado. So far I feel pretty good. I don't feel like I'm starving myself or anything. Tonight I'm going to drink more water and if I feel like I need to eat anything else I'll munch on some fresh strawberries or cherries.

Have you ever done a raw food cleanse? If you have any tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

No comments: