Sunday, July 13, 2014

this time of year

Last night, as part of an early birthday celebration, I had a girl's night out with my friend Ivory. We enjoyed cocktails and appetizers at my apartment, then headed out to dinner at a neighborhood Thai restaurant. It's always great chatting away like girl's tend to do and catching up on life, but the real fun of the evening was seeing one of my favorite bands, Better Than Ezra, perform at a street festival. It was a perfect summer evening for listening to music outside and dancing in the street.

The absolute best part of the night, however, was when the lead singer, Kevin Griffin, threw his guitar pick out into the crowd. The pick sailed through the air and bounced off dozens of hands trying to grab for it, then fell somewhere onto the ground and got lost amongst the crowd. I tried looking for it right away but didn't want to be looking at the ground during their last few songs- I wanted to enjoy the moment and their music so I thought to myself if I'm meant to find it I will. Twenty minutes later as they finished their last song and walked off stage and the crowd started to disperse, I took a couple of steps around and what do you think I saw on the ground just a few feet in front of me? Yes! The yellow pick. It's like it was just waiting for me to find it and it felt like magic! I was beyond excited.

And now I've given myself the challenge of learning to play this Better Than Ezra song with Kevin's pick before the next time they play in Chicago. They have a new album coming out in the fall and will be touring shortly thereafter, so it doesn't give me much time but I'm going to try. I have no idea where to begin but I do have a guitar so I guess that's a start. The reason I want to learn the song is because at most of their shows they usually pick someone from the audience to play the song with them onstage. I don't really have any musical talent but if that happened, well it would just be "so good". Here's to trying…


No comments: